Health Information Systems Officer
July 26, 2012
The Caribbean HIV/AIDS Regional Training (CHART) Network was established in 2003 for the purpose of contributing to systematic capacity development among institutional and community-based health care workers involved in prevention of HIV and AIDS and in care, treatment and support of persons living with HIV and AIDS. To date, the Network consists of six national training centres and a regional coordinating unit (RCU). The RCU is situated in Jamaica and operates under the aegis of the Vice-Chancellery of the University of the West Indies (UWI). The training centres are located in the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago, and two in Haiti. The OECS HIV/AIDS Project Unit also belongs to the Network.
The CHART Regional Coordinating Unit at UWI invites applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of: Health Information Systems Officer
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Deputy Director and working in close collaboration with the Senior M&E Specialist and the Advisor - Human Resources for Health, the successful candidate will be required to:
Lead the implementation of TrainSMART (a web-based training database) in twelve Partnership Framework countries in the Caribbean (50%):
- Support customizations to TrainSMART for health services delivery, human resources for health, and other areas of the health sector.
- Gather national organizational HIS requirements.
- Ensure appropriate functional specifications for software, based on service delivery, programmme management, and reporting needs.
- Manage the CHART regional database.
- Oversee implementation of Careware software. Communicate with US-based Careware team as well as staff in clinics implementing this software.
Provide training, mentoring and technical assistance in database management (35%)
- Design and conduct training of staff members and external stakeholders on TrainSMART and other data systems, and in related issues (data collection, data quality, and data use as a whole).
- Provide technical assistance to partners and MOH in writing specifications for adjustments to the TrainSMART database based on their information needs.
- Provide data entry, quality improvement, and trouble-shooting support to TrainSMART users in partner organisations and MOH.
Evaluation of Health Information Systems (15%)
- Design piloting strategies for software implementation projects.
- Design and carry out systematic evaluation, using appropriate qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology; Social Sciences, or in other relevant subject, plus five years relevant work experience.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent skills in use of at least one database package including writing queries and generating reports in SQL Server, MySQL or Oracle
- Ability to deliver training in the use of various software packages such as Excel, HRIS, or other data
- Knowledge of the design and use of health management information systems
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of issues related to hosting a database on a local server and server maintenance
- Familiarity with monitoring and evaluation of data related to the health sector
Detailed applications giving i) full particulars of qualifications and experience, bio data; and ii) the names, titles, mailing and e-mail addresses, fax and telephone numbers of three (3) referees should be sent as soon as possible to the: UNIVERSITY REGISTRAR, OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATION, THE VICE CHANCELLERY, UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES, MONA, KINGSTON 7, JAMAICA, W.I. E-mail: (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Fax: (876) 977-1422.
Further Particulars of the post including full details of the remuneration package may be obtained from the Office of Administration by contacting us on – Fax: (876) 977-1422; or E-mail: (email@example.com).
Closing date for receipt of applications – August 31, 2012