Sickle Cell Disease Variability
This includes clinical studies that focus on Sickle Cell Disease (SCD). SCD, though caused primarily by single genetic mutations, has a variety of effects on the lives of person affected by this condition. This theme explores various clinical presentations of the disease and the biological, social, and psychological factors that underline variability in outcomes. It also identifies factors that can change the natural history of this condition and improve patient quality of life. Main areas of current work include childhood stroke, clinical management including care protocols and novel treatments such as Hydroxyurea, pain management - especially neuropathic pain, male and female reproductive health issues, and quality of life.
Projects under this programme
- Neuropathic pain in Jamaicans with Sickle Cell Disease. Investigators: Monika Asnani, Zachary Ramsay, Rachel Bartlett, Justin Grant (Avicanna), Amza Ali (Kingston Public Hospital), Georgiana Gordon-Strachan
- Priapism in Sickle Cell Disease: An Evaluation of the Knowledge of an at-Risk Population in Jamaica. Investigators: Nichelle Whyte (UWI), Monika Asnani, Belinda Morrison (UWI)
- External Validation of the Priapism Impact Profile in a Jamaican Cohort of Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Investigators: Belinda F Morrison, Wendy Madden, Monika Asnani, Ayodeji Sotimehin, Uzoma Anele, Yuezhou Jing, Bruce J. Trock, Arthur L Burnett
- Chikungunya in Sickle Cell Disease in Jamaica-Self Reported and Physician Diagnosed Cases in Out-patients Attending the Sickle Cell Unit. Investigators: C. Hammond Gabbadon, A. Blake, J. Knight Madden
- Diagnosing Human Parvovirus Infection in Children with homozygous Sickle Cell Disease being treated with Hydroxyurea. Investigators: Angela E Rankine-Mullings, Carolyn Taylor – Bryan, Sandra Baugh-Ranglin, Marvin Reid, Graham Serjeant
- Retrospective Clinical Studies with Doctor of Medicine Candidates based on SCU Data.
- Early Detection of Splenomegaly in Patients with Homozygous Sickle Cell Disease and the Prediction of Susceptibility to Overwhelming Infection: Evidence from a Retrospective Cohort Study. Investigators: Angela Rankine-Mullings, Twila Logan, Monika Asnani, Graham Serjeant 43
- The Relationship of Transcranial Doppler Velocity with Other Vascular Measurements in Children with Sickle Cell Anaemia. Investigators: Angela E Rankine-Mullings, Marvin Reid, Novie Younger-Coleman
- The development and validation of a stroke risk assessment tool. Investigators: Angela E Rankine-Mullings, Marvin-Reid
- The Relationship Between Sleep Quality and Quality of Life in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease in Jamaica. Investigators: Nicki Chin, Monika Asnani
- Health Related Quality of Life Among Adult Smokers and Non-smokers with Sickle Cell Disease. Investigators: A. Barton-Gooden, M. Asnani
- Comparison of High Utilizers Versus Low Utilizers of Healthcare among Sickle Cell Disease Patients at the University Hospital of the West Indies. Investigators: Swane Gardener, Jennifer Knight-Madden, Andre Williams with DM Internal Medicine student
- Comparing Clinical Events in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease on Hydroxyurea with Penicillin Prophylaxis to Those Without. Investigators: Angela E Rankine-Mullings, Cameil Wilson Clarke
- Growth and Puberty in Sickle Cell Disease with and Without Hydroxyurea Treatment. Investigators: Angela E Rankine-Mullings, Margaret Wisdom Phipps, Patrice Jackson, Marvin Reid.
- Stroke Recovery in Children and Adults with Sickle Cell Disease. Investigators: Angela E Rankine-Mullings, Marvin Reid
- The Influence of Sex Hormones on Sickle Cell Pain in Women. Investigators: Zachary Ramsay, Novie Younger-Coleman, Leroy Campbell, Jennifer Knight-Madden, Monika Asnani
- Oral Lesions in Jamaicans with Sickle Cell Disease. Investigators: A. Babu, Thaon Jones, J. Knight-Madden, M. Asnani,
- Infection by Coagulase Negative Staphylococcal Disease: Is Homozygous Sickle Cell Disease Sickle Cell Disease A Risk Factor? Investigators: A. Rankine-Mullings, Camille-Ann Thombs- Rodrequiz and Graham Serjeant,
- Chronic Kidney Disease and its Management in Jamaicans with Sickle Cell Disease: A Retrospective Review. Investigators: Monika Asnani, Racquel Lowe-Jones, Rebecca Thomas-Chen, Yeni Pena,KK Hoe, Lori-Ann Fisher