Adoption of Open Campus Countries by UWIAA International Chapters
It was agreed in 2010 at the UWIAA Central Executive Committee (CEC) and ratified at University Council 2010 that the UWIAA International Chapters, through the IAD would officially “adopt” two or three UWI Open Campus Chapters/sites to assist with specific additional funding through the UWI Regional Endowment Fund (UWIREF).
Note: These Chapters would continue their already established fundraising efforts and any annual scholarships/bursaries to which they were already committed.
The UWIAA International Chapters would also encourage undergraduate and graduate student recruitment of second and third generation individuals of Caribbean heritage to utilize online Open Campus programmes, especially in professional development.
These International Chapters now have a special relationship with Open Campus Chapters:
International Chapter Adopted Chapters
Washington DC Grenada, St. Kitts adn Nevis
New York Belize, Cayman, Turks and Caicos
Toronto Dominica, St. Lucia
Florida Bahamas, Antigua and Barbuda
United Kingdom Montserrat, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, British Virgin Islands
Examples of ways to help:
Be like the New York graduate who while on vacation in St. Kitts saw that the Open Campus site needed a projector and bulbs and had one sent by courier within 3 days of her return, as she knew a functioning one was in her office not being used as they had just upgraded equipment.
WAYS TO ASSIST
- donations of equipment/supplies - sourcing from vendors, equipment change-out etc.
- familiarization trips to visit the Open Campus sites for alumni who are visiting
- lectures/talks by alumni who are visiting
- work activities e.g. painting of buildings/offices by individuals or groups who are visiting
- mentoring with studendt while there (volunteer tourism is a growing niche market)
- E-mentorship through Alumni Online
Get involved ... show your PELICAN PRIDE!
Contact the IAD for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org