The BFUWI is a UK registered charity: The British Foundation for The University of the West Indies (BFUWI) was established in London in January 2009 as a UK registered charity (no. 1127408).
It is working to ensure sustainable funding for the University of the West Indies attracting benefactor donations and corporate funding to finance student scholarships, developmental projects, institutional strengthening and infrastructural support. It will support the UWI in its aim to become a globally recognised institution for all things Caribbean.
The objectives of the British Foundation for The University of the West Indies are:
- To raise funds for the UWI from the UK in a tax efficient manner from all possible sources – individuals, companies, organizations, partnership arrangements
- To innovate diverse ways of translating the support of well-wishers in the UK into tangible benefits for the University and the Caribbean Region
- To establish, promote and develop mutually beneficial relationships with key UK potential and actual benefactors
- To facilitate positive and informed awareness-raising of the UWI and the wider issue of Caribbean development in the UK context
- To collaborate and partner with the UWIAA UK Chapter in activities of mutual benefit to Alumni and the Alma Mater
Barbados High Commission
1 Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3ND,
Volunteer Contact: Deidre Herbert
Board of Trustees
Chairman: Professor E. Nigel Harris, former Vice Chancellor, UWI
Treasurer: Mr. Winston Bayley
Mrs. Elizabeth Mullings- Smith
Mrs. Susan Belgrave
Ms. Vanessa Hutchinson
Ms. Diane Edwards
The UWIAA UK Chapter and alumni and "Friends of The UWI" in the UK work to support the aims and objectives of the BFUWI.